I've made canvases, altered pieces and wall hangings a plenty, but I've never had an art journal and I think it's about time I started one. I think principally it will be to experiment on before I commit techniques to a bigger format. There's a 24x12 canvas on my bedroom wall that I've fallen out of love with and, before I totally revamp it, I thought I would try out some more of Christy Tomlinson's techniques on the 1st page of my journal.
I've bought a whole bunch of Christy's new She Art products, but before I use them I wanted to experiment with the products I already have, to see what works. So, for this page I have used papers from 2 6x6 pads free with Simply Cards and Papercraft magazine in past months. One Websters Pages Western Romance/All About Me and the other We R Memory Keepers Travel Light.
For sticking and sealing I've used plain old PVA watered down a little. I've dug out some old rub-ons, love new ideas to use up old neglected stash, these ones are from DCWV.
I found some Decoart Snow-Tex in the bottom on my box of acrylic paints, it was totally solid. As I was experimenting and not worrying about ruining expensive supplies, I dug some out with a lolly stick, mixed it with Claudine Hellmuth Modern Red paint and splodged it on through a 'That Special Touch' Honeycomb mask; result! Other supplies: PaperArtsy stamps Bricks And Mortar 1, She Art words.
The only substitutions that didn't work as well as I would have liked were the pens. Although I do like how the flowers turned out. I used an ordinary Sharpie for the black outlines and Distress Markers for the shadows and smudging. It worked, but I'm not sure if the results were down to my lack of skills or lack of correct products.
No time to start the big canvas this week, but I've promised the Dinky Diva a go at some messy mixed media work next week, so maybe we can work side by side.